Microsoft actually gives away SQL server client tools for free!!
I had all these remote SQL servers to manage but did not have an installation on my laptop/Desktop.. Until now, I thought the only way was to use ‘Remote Deskop Connection’ to log on to the server and use the enterprise manager installation on the server.
Here’s how you can get Enterprise manager, query manager (and other client tools) installed on your computer:
1. Download a trial version of Sql Server 2000 from the Microsoft download page
2. Unpack it and double click on the ‘setup’ icon
3. Select ‘Install SQL server’
4. Accept default directory
5. Select ‘Client tools only‘
6. Accept default download options
Voila.. you can now register all your servers within the enterprise manager and go about your business!